Upper Oconee Science and Policy Summit
The Upper Oconee Watershed Network in partnership with UGA River Basin Center, UGA Office of Sustainability, ACC Stormwater, and ACC Water Conservation will host the third biennial Upper Oconee Watershed Policy Summit. “Exploring the Intersection of Science and Policy in the Upper Oconee Watershed” will occur on Friday September 25, 2020. This will be a virtual event!
The summit will bring together scientists, policymakers, activists, students, managers, and community members from across the region to explore the intersection between water resource science, management, and policy in the Upper Oconee Watershed.
Register for FREE Here! The deadline to submit an abstract will be September 18, 2020. There is no deadline for registration.
Interested in sponsoring this event? Click here for sponsor information.
Oral and poster presentations will:
- Educate attendees on the water resource activities occurring in the watershed
- Highlight the integral connection between science and policies and management
- Identify research and policy needs as well as opportunities for collaboration and action in the watershed
- Introduce decision makers and managers to some of the brightest student researchers at UGA
Aquatic research programs can yield valuable knowledge to inform policies and management decisions. Frequently, much is lost in the translation between scientific research and policy development. The summit seeks to address this challenge by: (1) highlighting effective ways in which science can inform policy development, (2) foster a collaborative environment where scientists, policy professionals, and community members can share needs and interests, and (3) identify gaps in research that are needed to support effective watershed management.
Access to UOSPS
Thanks for registering for the 2020 Upper Oconee Science and Policy Summit! We hope that you all find something in the content that you enjoy and that spurs you to work harder as an environmental steward. Here are three links that you will find most useful:
2020 Poster Proceedings*
Oconee River Land Trust – Protecting the Upper Oconee Watershed through Conservation Easements
*Questions about the posters can be submitted via link #3 (above).
2020 Discussion Panel
Panel Topic: Stream of Plastic in Georgia
Join experts from Athens-Clarke County and the University of Georgia for a session packed with all the information you’ve been searching for when it comes to plastics. Topics include:
- Plastics in the Recycling Stream in Georgia: Suki Janssen, Director Athens-Clarke County Solid Waste Department
- Plastics in Our Streams and Waterways (Monitoring with Marine Debris Tracker): Kathryn Youngblood, Research Engineer, University of Georgia New Materials Institute and Research Engineer, Jambeck Research Group, University of Georgia
- Technology to Keep Plastics Out of the Waste Stream (Solution Framework, Can I Recycle This): Katherine Shayne, Jambeck Research Group, University of Georgia
- Keeping the Stream of Plastics Out of Our Homes (Repair Cafes and more): Mason Towe, Program Education Specialist Athens-Clarke County Solid Waste Department
- New Methods to Remanufacture Plastics: Dr. David Blum, University of Georgia, Director Bioexpression and Fermentation Facility and Master of Biomanufacturing and Bioprocessing
At the end of the Summit, please let us know what you thought about the event this year by completing the survey (above).
Please contact us with questions or feedback at UOSPS2020@gmail.com.