Get involved with UOWN today
Need some cred? Come work with us!
Interns and Board Members gain practical experience in water related issues and management of environmental organizations. Our previous interns and board members have gone on to careers in regional and national organizations. Each intern is individually supervised by an experienced board member. Interns set their own daily schedule to complete assigned tasks. Internships are unpaid.
The Upper Oconee Watershed Network (UOWN) seeks an intern to assist with development of a relational database with which to manage water quality data.
The intern would help develop a PostgreSQL database to store and serve this data through a web interface.
Tasks will include researching potential hosting options for the database, assisting in database design, and development of the web interface. Desired skills include experience with web-hosted relational databases and use of PHP to access them. Knowledge of PostgreSQL in particular would be beneficial. Must have access to a computer.
Send your resume or CV to email@example.com.
UOWN seeks an intern to assist the chair of the Science and Monitoring Committee. The organization was originally founded to collect samples from the Upper Oconee watershed; the Science and Monitoring Committee is responsible for this vital task.
The intern will be responsible for preparing for quarterly sampling events, performing chemical analysis of samples, assisting volunteers identifying indicator macrobiotic species, and codifying data. Other tasks include performing longitudinal analysis of data and preparing reports.
Familiarity with sampling techniques desired. Knowledge of macrobiotic species is beneficial (Adopt-A-Stream Macrobiotic Identification training may be provided). Must have access to a computer.
Send your resume or CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
UOWN is entirely dependent upon volunteers to accomplish its mission!
Single Day Opportunities
We need volunteers to help us with Monitoring, Outreach, and Education events. Volunteers help us setup, host, or take down our materials and work in staggered shifts of 2 to 3 hours. If you are interested in a single day opportunity, please check out our event calendar and then contact the appropriate committee chair.
Much of the work we do is performed behind-the-scenes in committees. Committees generally meet monthly (although some months may be skipped depending on work load). Contact the committee chair to be included in meetings. The important thing is to show up and take on a task; every bit helps!
The Advocacy Committee monitors Athens-Clarke and Oconee County Commissions, providing feedback and commentary on proposed ordinances. The committee is in need of individuals to undertake one (or more) of the following tasks:
- Sign up for and receive email alerts from the Athens-Clarke County Mayor & Commission, Public Utilities, Transportation and Public Works, Zoning, and the Government Operations Committee. Read the emails and report to the committee if any agenda item is related to the watershed, drinking water system, or waste water system. Note: water can be affected by: zoning changes, environmental regulations, permit applications.
- Sign up for and receive email alerts from the Oconee County Board of Commissioners, Public Works, Planning and Code Enforcement, and Utility Department. Read the emails and report to committee if any agenda item is related to the watershed, drinking water, or waste water system.
- Meet periodically to discuss local legislative agenda item. These meeting might be on short notice until we build up a pattern/structure. Meetings will be quick and concise.
- Help formulate and edit statements of opinion on behalf of UOWN.
- Have or establish friendly, communicative, and respectful relationships with elected and hired governmental/contracted individuals on local, regional, county, and state levels.
- Communicate statements verbally, via mail, email, in-person, social media to decision making individuals.
- Periodically attend public meetings of Athens-Clarke County or Oconee County departments to observe and/or provide comment.
The outreach committee helps us communicate with our members and Athens-Clarke County residents. We maintain websites and pages on social media. The committee also helps organize activities for our members such as paddle trips, exploration of riparian areas, movies, and other social events. We need help with the following tasks:
- Event Photographer: Help document our events. Take pictures and post them to our facebook page. We use these images in our social media postings and on the website.
- Social Media Assistant: UOWN maintains accounts on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook. We need help keeping these pages current.
- Event Planners/Organizers: We need help planning and hosting small events for our members. If you have interest in helping or even a specific event in mind please contact email@example.com
Recreation / Water Trails
The water trails committee is working to allow everyone to appreciate the beauty and serenity of the North and Middle Oconee rivers by building canoe/kayak launches along the river. In the near future, the public will be able to safely paddle on the river. This committee needs help with the following:
- Leading paddling trips
- Social media
- Collecting facts for website
- Bookkeeper: Enter financial transactions in our register. Reconcile bank statements against the register. Assist the treasurer in compiling quarterly reports. Must be familiar with Quickbooks Online.